Dr. De Soto’s mission as a naturopathic physician is to provide high-quality, flexible and individualized pediatric and family healthcare. She uses the latest research and diagnostic tools plus clinical experience, historical knowledge, and intuition to integrate the best of modern medicine and natural therapies. She tailors treatments to work with every patient’s needs and desires for care. Education is a key component of every visit and Dr. De Soto encourages people to take charge of their own health while promising to be a partner on their journey. She views every intervention through the lens of naturopathic philosophy and healing as the attainment of greatest potential.
Treatments you can expect to receive may include:
- Herbal medicine
- Micro- and Macro-nutrient supplementation
- Osseous manipulation and soft tissue body work
- Pharmaceutical prescription and management
The philosophical tenets of naturopathic medicine are as follows (AANP, 2013):
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae): Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent self-healing process in people that is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and augment this inherent self-healing process.
- Identify and Treat the Causes (ToIle Causam): The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere): Naturopathic physicians follow three guidelines to avoid harming the patient:
- Utilize methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat;
- Avoid when possible the harmful suppression of symptoms; and
- Acknowledge, respect, and work with individuals’ self-healing process.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere): Naturopathic physicians educate their patients and encourage self-responsibility for health. They also recognize and employ the therapeutic potential of the doctor-patient relationship.
- Treat the Whole Person: Naturopathic physicians treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, and other factors. Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal spiritual development.
- Prevention: Naturopathic physicians emphasize the prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease, and by making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients to prevent illness.